Read a Book



I remember as when I was growing up we had a "quiet time" week days during the summer. It was usually for an hour right after lunch. During this time the TV was off and we didn't play with friends or even our toys. It was a time to read or take a nap. I think my mom just needed it quiet so my little brother would take a nap. Or maybe she just needed a break. Either way, it gave me an hour everyday to read. I loved to read. We would go to the library or the bookmobile and get books every week. We also had lots of books too. There was always something to read. As I got older I continued to read for fun. I had gained a love of books.

After my kids were born we didn't have a designated "quiet time" because I worked some days. So instead I would read to them after they laid down in bed at night. I have vivid memories of my kids in their bunkbeds listening to my read "The Magic Tree House" books to them as they fell asleep. It was a time when life just slowed down - even for me. As they got older I didn't read to them at bedtime anymore. But, I would read them Harry Potter books in the afternoon or evening. When my youngest turned 2 she decided that she didn't need a bedtime anymore. She would try to stay up as late as she could and then want to sleep in in the morning. The only way we could get her to cooperate at bedtime was to tell her to hurry and get in bed so we could read stories. She would happily get ready for bed and then pick out 3 stories for us to read. It was great. Bribery that was good for her too.



We always have lots of books around our house. My grandma used to give all of the great-grandchildren books for Christmas. Also we loved it when the school sent home book orders and had book fairs. We always bought a book. Or two. Or seven. When we found a book that someone in our family loved, we would buy it for a birthday or holiday gift. (My daughter got two books for Valentines Day this year.) One year when my big kids were still small, I was in a store looking for a book for a gift for my one year old. A lady I knew from church saw me and came to chat for a minute. When I told her what I was doing she handed my a board book called "Goodnight Moon." She insisted that it was the best book and that I should buy that one. I had heard of it but had never read it to my older kids. (I'm sorry to say that I usually picked out books based on the cover.) I felt obligated to buy it at that point, so I did. Best buy ever! He loved that book. We read it all the time. In fact we actually went through a few copies of it. My youngest is now 11 and I can still quote almost the entire book!


"Goodnight Moon" is now my go to baby shower gift. I give new mom's a copy of the board book and a blanket. It's great for me because I don't have to wonder what to buy. Also books aren't usually what people give at showers. I think it's perfect because it encourages reading to their child and the blanket encourages them to snuggle while they do it. Now there is nothing wrong with that at all!




I'm sure that as my kids start having kids of their own that I will be the grandma that always buys them books. Birthdays, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, and all the rest of the holidays as well. I can't wait!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Lights Make Me Happy

I Am Happy When I Do Something Right

A Clean House Makes Me Happy