Copycat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

A few years ago I got a recipe that has become one of my family's favorite treats. It is a recipe for peanut butter cups. The first time I made it, it was amazing! They taste exactly like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! What's even better is that it only has a few ingredients, it's no bake and it's really fast. You simply make it on the stove top and then put it in the fridge. It only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. It does take a little time to set up though. After about an hour in the refrigerator it is ready to eat!


Here's how you make these yummy treats.


You start with one cup (2 sticks) of margarine or butter. I use margarine. Put in in a saucepan and then add 1 cup of peanut butter. I use creamy, but I'm sure that it would work with chunky too.


Stirring often, melt the margarine and peanut butter together. It will become really smooth. Once it's all melted remove the pan from the heat.


The peanut butter in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups isn't just peanut butter. There is a little bit of a texture and sweetness to it. This recipe adds that texture and sweetness with powdered sugar and crushed graham cracker crumbs. It calls for 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 package of graham crackers. Not an entire box, just one of the wrapped packages within the box. You can crush the crackers in a food processor for a really fine crumb. I actually just smash the package of crackers while they are still in their package. It doesn't make for as fine as crumbs, but it is good enough. This is not a recipe that you have to be perfect with.


Once you have combined all of the ingredients, you will spread it in a 9x13 inch pan. I like to use my glass cake pan. After you have spread it around the pan you will put it in the fridge for a few minutes while you get the chocolate ready.


For the chocolate topping I melt 1 package of milk chocolate chips. You can use a double boiler if you want, but I am for simple. I put the chips in the microwave to melt. I put them in for one minute to start with. Then I take them out and stir them around. Then I put them back in for 30 seconds and stir the chips again. At my house this is enough time. If your chips aren't melted yet, then repeat putting them in for 30 seconds and stirring after every 30 seconds. Do it as many times as needed. Remember though that chocolate chips won't melt just by heating them. You must stir them after heating.


The chocolate will be shiny and smooth when it's melted.


Take the peanut butter mixture out of the fridge and immediately pour the melted chocolate over the bars.
I pour it around the pan so I just have to smooth it a little with a spoon.


It will look like this when it's done. You must put it back in the fridge to set up. It takes about an hour for the bars to be firm enough to cut. We actually keep ours in the fridge the entire time.

Over the next day or two, I will catch the kids in the fridge getting "snacks" of this yummy mixture. I will join them for a copycat Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I have to. I must admit that I like these better than Reese's, but I think it's because they are cold.

Try these and see if you don't agree.

Copycat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

1 cup (2sticks) margarine or butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 package graham crackers, crushed
2 cups powdered sugar
1 package milk chocolate chips

Directions above


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Lights Make Me Happy

I Am Happy When I Do Something Right

A Clean House Makes Me Happy