Flowers and Summer Go Together!

I know that I am really late at planting my planters this year, but I made time today to actually do it. My daughter and I loaded up our planters and headed to my parents house. Lucky for me, my parents own a Nursery that is by their house. They have so many trees, bushes and plants. Today though we were just after flowers. My mom helped us clean all of the old plants out of the planters and then my daughter and I went in search of the flowers that we wanted to use. So many flowers! Tall flowers, short flowers, bright flowers, pretty flowers, big flowers, small flowers, and so many more. It is hard to decide sometimes. My mom taught me though that every planter needs something tall, something colorful and something short. We found plants today to fit one of those requirements. We then proceeded to group the flowers that we wanted for each planter.


I learned the hard way that it is not as easy to make a planter that looks good. Honestly, it doesn't look that hard. But there actually is an art to arranging flowers in a flower pot. My mom's advice about picking the different sizes of plants, actually makes a huge difference in the finished product! No matter what size the pot is. It's also important to put complimentary colors together. Red and purple flowers would look okay in a pot, but how much better would red and blue look? Or purple and yellow? Even the green from the flowers (or even from decorative greens) make the pots look better. A planter with different sizes or colors of flowers is always pretty. However, I have also seen planters where they are monochromatic. They look pretty in smaller planters. Like I said, it's an art form. I am not great at it, but I did some really pretty pots today with my daughter. I was so excited! It's not fun playing in the dirt all day and coming up with planters that look odd or are just blah!


Behind my daughter in the picture above, is my mom. She actually planted a red rose bush in my large planter. She then filled in around it with some yellow marigolds and greenery from a potato plant. (That's not its official name. It looks exactly like the leaves on a potato plant, it just doesn't grow potatoes.) It turned out beautifully!



This is the rose that she planted. My daughter picked it out. I probably would have picked a yellow rose bush, but she had already found this one. Since we were there to do it together, I let her use the one that she liked best. My kids don't always get their way. In fact they usually don't get their way, but it's important that they do get there way at least some of the time. I won't let them fill the cart up with junk food at the grocery store, but I will let them pick out something. I can't drop everything anytime they want to go swimming or to the movies or to get ice cream or whatever. But I don't just shut them down. I explain that it won't work now but why don't we plan a time to go. It works for us. So back to the rose bush, she picked it and it looked beautiful!

It was great spending some time with my mom and my daughter. My dad even made a few appearances while he was taking care of other things. We got to look at pretty flowers, get our hands dirty and enjoy the outdoors before it got to hot. What a great way to spend the morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Lights Make Me Happy

I Am Happy When I Do Something Right

A Clean House Makes Me Happy