New Habits, Not Resolutions

This year I am working on gaining new habits not resolutions. I guess technically they aren't very different from each other, but they sound different. Basically everyone who makes resolutions has one of a handful of things they want for the new year in common. They want to lose weight, get a good job, eat healthy, etc. And basically everyone has given up by February. To me a resolution is like a wish. It isn't supposed to be that way, but it sort of is. People don't make a plan to make those resolutions work. Changing what we always do isn't easy.

This year instead of making the same old resolutions as I do every year, I'm going about it differently. I'm working on changing my habits. I made a list of habits that I want to have or habits that would be good for me. I have some that are unoriginal and others that will make our home run more smoothly. Here are mine:

Exercise - hopefully at least 30 minutes 4+ times a week
Drink more water - my goal is 128 oz a day. It will be hard but doable.
Eat 3-5 servings of veggies - I separated fruits and veggies because honestly I'd just eat fruit.
Eat 3-5 servings of fruit - also it means that I'll eat 6-10 servings a day. That would be great!
Eat protein at breakfast
Eat protein at lunch - I had to split them by meal because I want protein at every meal.
Eat protein at dinner
Laundry - completely do a load of laundry. Wash, dry, fold, put away
Dishes - keep the dishwasher empty so dirty dishes can go straight in and turn on before bed
Daily cleaning zone - I have a daily zone list (I'll share that another day) I have gotten lax on this                                           lately and I want to get into the habit of keeping the house clean.
Dinner - make dinner nightly and eat as a family
Bed by 10:30 - I'm a night owl. Most nights I'm up until around midnight. Not good when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am.
Planner - use it daily
Blog - keep track of posts and how often I'm making them

I know this list is long, but they are all habits that I believe will make me feel accomplished and are good for me. Because the goals are so specific it will be easy to gauge how they are working. I'm excited! I've heard that it takes about 21 days to change a habit or create a new one. I needed a way to track what I was doing. Not anything hard but some thing that let me quickly look over my list each day and see how I'm doing. There are so many different ways of tracking things. I've tried keeping track one week at a time, but then I'd turn the page for a new week and couldn't or wouldn't compare them. There was no improvement. Each week had basically the same things marked the same number of times. Not what I wanted.

Then about a week ago I found a habit tracker from a blog for ideas to use my planner. It was genius! It would let me quickly see how I was doing for the entire month at a glance. I could see where I was doing well and areas where I might need to change my strategy for accomplishing them. I loved it! It has a list of the habits along with a box for each day of the month. If I do it then I fill the box in, if I don't then the box stays empty. I will quickly be able to see how I'm doing and it won't be time consuming to fill out. Win! Win!

I am so excited to watch my life improve! I can't wait! Welcome 2020. Let's see what we can do together!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Lights Make Me Happy

I Am Happy When I Do Something Right

A Clean House Makes Me Happy