Baby Shower

My daughter in law Ashley is expecting her and my son's first child - and our first grandchild. We are pretty excited and of course they are too! They have lots to do though and only a couple of weeks to get it all done. Luckily my cute sister in law, Becca, through her a baby shower. Once they had the shower they would know which items they still needed to get. What to buy? Kind of hard because I'd already given her my standard baby gift. Goodnight moon and a blanket or pajamas. I'd given her that months ago.

I knew that I wanted to make a gift for them. I had a neighbor that had made her expectant daughter some adorable burp cloths. That's a funny thing to say "adorable burp cloths." But they really are. She used fat quarters and terry cloth. I was able to find really fun fat quarters. They were printed with the cutest boy patterns that I've ever seen. Animals and monsters. The theme of the shower was safari so of course the animals were perfect. Monsters just because I really love bright kid friendly monster patterns.


They were actually really simple to make. The most annoying part of them was my sewing machine. We have a love hate relationship and were really focusing on the hate this day. So rather than spend hours frustrated, I went to my parents house and used my mom's sewing machine. The first thing I did was wash all of the fabric. I don't think that they shrunk much if any but I didn't want to chance them shrinking after I'd sewn them to fabric that wouldn't shrink. Then I cut the fat quarters in half.


Then I laid the cut fabric onto the cotton terry cloth and used my rotary cutter to cut the terry cloth to the exact size needed. Then I pinned the insides together.


Then using my mom's sewing machine, I was able to quickly sew 3 of the sides together. I left one side open so that we could turn the right sides out. My mom helped me by ironing them flat. I hate to iron but I know that an iron is usually a sewer's best friend. I then sewed the open end.


I think that they turned out so cute! They are an original hand made gift from his grandma (and technically from his great grandmother as well.)


Luckily Ashley loved them as much as I did. It's great when a gift turns out they way I picture it in my mind. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. Today was a win though. An important one at that! Yeah me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Lights Make Me Happy

I Am Happy When I Do Something Right

A Clean House Makes Me Happy